General manager – Shoryu Ramen Oxford
Shoryu Ramen Ltd
From the team behind Japan Centre, Shoryu Ramen launched in November 2012 and has been recommended in the Michelin Guide 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017. Shoryu Ramen specialises in Hakata tonkotsu ramen from the Hakata district of Fukuoka city on the southern island of Kyushu, Japan. Hakata tonkotsu ramen is a style of ramen made with a thick, rich, white pork soup and thin, straight ramen noodles. Our Hakata tonkotsu ramen recipe has been specially created by our Executive Chef Kanji Furukawa who was born and raised in Hakata, to provide the UK with highly crafted, genuine tonkotsu rarely found outside Japan. Shoryu’s owner Tak Tokumine is also a native of Fukuoka city and along with Kanji is dedicated to championing his hometown’s local speciality.
We would like to welcome you to the Japan Centre Group!
Job Purpose: The Restaurant General Manager is responsible for managing the daily operations of the restaurant, including development and performance management of employees. In addition, they oversee the inventory and ordering from suppliers, optimize profits and ensure that customer needs are met throughout their dining experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop a culture of actively seeking feedback from customers on a regular basis, get to know the regular guests and acknowledge repeat custom
Agree and implement actions to continuously improve the guest experience
Ensure customer requests and feedback, both verbal and written are responded promptly and efficiently
- Maintain and further enhance relationships within the immediate locality, namely residents
- Maximise incremental sales opportunities by adding customer value at every opportunity
- Focus on offer: roll out loyalty scheme, email offers, specials and menu initiatives
- Focus on Company Values: Authenticity, Variety, Quality, Accessibility
- Online: support online development through customer fulfillment
- Ensure Mystery Guests Results are achieved to a high standard
- Passionate about service standards
- Goes the extra mile & exceeds expectations
- Reacts well to customers
- Be a role model, setting an example to colleagues and acting with discretion at all times.
- To be actively involved in all colleague related issues and to handle them in a professional manner.
- Provide necessary leadership, planning and communication skills to ensure the timely delivery of self-set goals.
- Together with the management team, devise and present Company goals and strategy to colleagues to ensure transparency and unity.
- Build strong relationships with clients and suppliers, including consultants
- Managing and developing colleagues, scheduling and supervising new team members
- Determine team staffing needs and recruit staff if and when required
- To understand the need for training and development of all colleagues.
- Take a proactive approach in training colleagues on their responsibilities regarding Fire Safety, Health and Safety, Food Hygiene and Customer Service.
- Responsible for all departmental induction training and on the job training for new members of staff and also newly promoted colleagues.
- Through great and engaged leadership, ensure a High Performance Working (HPW) Team is built and reflected in performance standards.
- Appraise colleagues (and managers) annually, providing a succession plan; performance managing colleagues as required.
- Demonstrate a high standard of restaurant and personal presentation, ensuring good personal hygiene of self and team
- Ensure that common objectives are executed seamlessly and professionally
- Support the implementation of revenue generation initiatives
- Support the delivery and measurement of promotional activities, including staff incentives
- To provide a clear handover during shift changes and ensure each shift is reviewed and handovers/briefings are carried out
- Review and communicate financial information to assist in proactive and timely decision making
- Manage monthly stock-takes and review results and variances with relevant departments
- Ensure that in house control systems/audit requirements are follow accordingly
- Audit holiday and sickness administration to ensure consistency and accuracy
- Understand relevant H&S legislation and the implications on the business, taking action as required
- To ensure all departmental staff work hygienically and productively
- Ensure a safe workplace by identifying and reporting hazards and taking corrective action
- Review and communicate health and safety audit reports and initiate required action with relevant departments
- Identify maintenance activity required in order to uphold the required standard and forward these to the Area Manager
- Action and respond to alleged food hygiene issues, deploying all necessary resources to protect reputation and brand integrity
- Assist in the promotion/creation of in-house sales initiatives ensuring operations contribute proactively to the overall sales function
- Support the delivery of all key training with the Manager, identifying training needs and capability gaps within the team
FINANCIAL and CONTROLLING COSTS
- Maintain Monthly Expenses Budget: keeping record of all expenses on a monthly basis; planning ahead on any projects and/or tasks .
- Report Performance data via weekly/monthly/period reports as required – examine trend data and exceptional items, taking corrective steps in a timely manner
- Payroll controls, to hit plan – support HR with monthly analysis of controls
- Food cost controls to be within agreed budgets including stock loss and shrink.
- Record and report any ordering costs and cash loss
- Maintain and track agency and contractor expenses
- Equipment and dilapidation cost controls reported monthly – manage contracts wisely, spending in a prudent way
- Report on any accounts or sales exceptional items – monitoring ‘complimentary losses and any site cash discrepancies.
- Manage food waste to prescribed and agreed limits
- Forecast any operational CAPEX (Capital Expenditure) needs, supporting proposals
- Control costs on other expenses such as uniform, stationery and travel.
Job title: General Manager
Work Location: OXFORD – OX1 1PB
***£2,000 BONUS!!! Subject to T&Cs: Successful candidates will receive a £500 bonus after 3 months with us, and an additional £500 bonus after 6 months with us, AND £1,000 after 12 months with us ***
Reporting To: Area Manager/Head of Operations