Adventures ‘On the Road’ to Oxford!
This blog post was written by Active England Tours. Active England Tours is a premier provider of active holidays for International and UK audiences offering beautifully curated tours, including private, guided and self-guided trips: cycling, walking, watersports and adventure tours! You can find us at www.activeenglandtours.com
A Karouac inspired road trip, to discover the adventures that lie within arm’s reach of Oxford!
For those dreaming of adventures (soon possible!) and staring up to the hills, as they drive past ridgeways, footpaths and lakes, we’ve picked out our favourite must-see spots for biking, hiking, swimming and more – all easily accessible from Oxford!
Here are our Top 5 Adventures and Beauty Spots in and around Oxford:
- Punting in Oxford: Ever fancied a try at this truly timeless, slightly eccentric, quintessentially oxford, idyllic pleasure: sailing leisurely upstream or down river, trailing fingers in the silky water, admiring the wildlife, picnicking on a river bank, dropping in at the Vicky Arms or drifting downstream past the University. I’ve not yet heard of a better excuse for a quick detour off the M40 into Oxford!
- The Chilterns: You’ll see these beautiful rolling green hills as you head out of London and towards the Cotswolds. 324 square miles of superb scenery, ideal for walking or cycling – whether a multi-day trip or a quick hop out of the car to break up your journey!
- The Ridgeway National Trail: Walk along Britain’s oldest road; a route used for at least 5,000 years, by travellers, herdsmen and soldiers. With nearly 90 miles of trail to follow you can walk it all or pick the sections closest to the M40 for a stroll through history through this surprisingly remote area of the country, with wide open views of the rolling chalk downland.
- The Vicar of Dibley’s Turville: A beautiful village with more pubs than you could visit in a day – though we challenge those not driving to try! A classic British village, known as the film set of Dawn French’s ‘Vicar of Dibley’ and also as the home of ‘Chitty Chitty Bang Bang’, as well as some classic films like ‘Goodnight Mr Tom’.
Our walking, biking and paddling tours visit these incredible places and more, so if you are looking for a longer escape to the country, adventuring on your doorstep, why not take a look at our weekend and week-long trips around Oxford and beyond:
- Cotswolds Multi Activity – 6 Day Adventure Holiday: With early morning swims, morning walks and cycling through the Cotswolds, Stand Up Paddle boarding or canoeing to the pub in the early evening you’ll have a full, active day! Led by our outstanding team of guides who know every route; café stop and canal; the best way to bike out of Oxford or the best places to canoe, Stand Up Paddleboard or go punting in the city.
- Cotswolds Multi Activity Adventure Weekend: Our Multi Activity Adventure Weekends are for like-minded active people who embrace weekends and want to get stuck into some great activities. You’ll go home with a glow having made the most of your long weekend, full of morning swims, days outdoors, evenings around the firepit with home-cooked food and a great group around you! We’ve made this trip hassle free – providing all the equipment you will need; just bring yourself, some active wear, and some swim kit, and you’ll be ready to go!